Belden was founded by Joseph C. Belden in 1902 in Chicago, IL.
The company has been a leader in the design and manufacturing of insulated wire, cable and related products for over 100 years. In 2004, Belden merged with Cable Design Technologies Corp. and has since transformed itself from a cable company to a signal transmission solutions provider with a complete product portfolio including cable, connectivity and networking products.
1902 – Company founded by Joseph C. Belden in Chicago, Illinois.
1905 – The first major breakthrough for Belden occurred in 1905 when, after much experimental work, "Beldenamel" insulation was created. This flexible enamel insulation would become the basis of Belden's early success.
1910 – Belden moved to larger quarters in Chicago and added rubber insulated wire to its product line.
1927 – The invention of the soft rubber plug by a Belden engineer led to further expansion.
1928 – A new plant, designed especially for manufacturing electrical wire, opens its doors in Richmond, Indiana.
1941 – 1960 – During World War II, and the decade and a half of growth which followed it, a number of buildings were added to the Richmond Plant to allow for expansion. Wire mill operations were transferred from Chicago to Richmond to make the Richmond plant completely independent and self-sufficient. At nearly 700,000 square feet, this would be Belden's largest manufacturing facility for more than 70 years.
1942 – By this time, Belden had shifted manufacturing strictly to war materials. Its products were used in tanks, airplanes, mobile radios, submarines, ships, jeeps and a variety of other military machinery.
1945 – 1980 – After the war, Belden began to clearly establish its leadership in wire and cable technology through research, engineering, and product development. The company was one of the first wire producers to apply plastic insulations to wire and cable. Belden sought market niches that required sophisticated and high quality products where value was added in insulation, cabling, shielding and jacketing.
1980 – In May, the Company moved to its new headquarters located south of Richmond, Indiana. In September, Belden and Crouse-Hinds Company, a highly regarded manufacturer of electrical products located in Syracuse, New York, entered into a merger.
1981 – In April, Cooper Industries, with corporate headquarters in Houston, Texas, acquired the combined entity of Belden and Crouse-Hinds.
1993 – In October, Belden once again became an independent public held entity with corporate offices located in St. Louis, Missouri.
1993 – 2004 – Belden pursued a growth strategy. Through acquisitions and organic growth, Belden's revenues grew from under $400 million in 1993 to more than $1.1 Billion in 2000, and were $827 million in 2003, the year prior to the merger with Cable Design Technologies.
Cable Design Technologies Corp.
Cable Design Technologies Corporation (CDT) was incorporated on May 18, 1988 with its headquarters located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Some of its operating companies, however, were more than 100 years old. In 1985, CDT's predecessor company, Intercole, Inc., a Company traded on the American Stock Exchange, was acquired by the Northern Group which subsequently took it private. In 1988, the Company underwent a recapitalization pursuant to which Golder, Thoma, Cressey Fund II purchased a controlling interest in the Company, with the Northern Group retaining a smaller interest. From 1988 to 2004, acquisitions were an important part of CDT's growth strategy.
2004 – Belden merges with Cable Design Technologies Corp.
2006 – John Stroup is named President and CEO.
2006 – Present – Belden transforms itself from a cable company to a signal transmission solutions provider with a complete product portfolio including cable, connectivity and networking products